Mandawa is a beautiful city in the heart of the Shekhawati region of Rajasthan. A travel to Mandawa would take you to the fairytale city where forts, palaces, castles and havelis have exquisite paintings on them. The city is located 190kms off Jaipur. It is not long since Mandawa has come up in the tourist map of India. But the place has gained tremendous popularity as because of its rich cultural heritage. Huge numbers of people today travel to Mandawa to see the paintings, which have earned the city the reputation of “Open Air Art Gallery”. Mandawa was founded in the mid 18th century. As it was an important halt on the famous Silk Route to China, the rich merchants built their ‘havelis’ here. The lavish buildings were adorned with beautiful paintings on religious, historical, folk and social themes.
The impressive Castle Mandawa would greet you as you travel to Mandawa. The towering castle dominates the skyline of Mandawa. From the imposing ramparts, you would get a spectacular view of the town. Made of white marble, reds and blues, each room is uniquely decorated with antique furniture, old frescoes. The castle has now been converted to a hotel. Treasure your travel to Mandawa staying at Castle Mandawa.
How to Reach Mandawa
Mandawa is located in the Shekhawati region in Rajasthan. Shekhawati region is known over the world because of its treasure of exquisitely painted palaces and havelis. Established in the 18th century, Mandawa has its fair share of fantastically painted murals on both the exterior and interior walls of the havelis. The havelis of Mandawa have some of the best murals in Shekhawati. People across the globe come to visit this “open air art gallery” in huge numbers.
The nearest airport from Mandawa is Jaipur. Being the capital of the state of Rajasthan, it is a notable domestic airport. You can reach Jaipur directly by air from cities like: Delhi, Mumbai, Udaipur and so on.
The nearest railhead is Jhunjhunu. The station is serviced by several important trains and is linked to major stations like, Delhi, Jaipur, Bikaner.
A convenient network of roads covers Mandawa. You may reach Mandawa by road from several cities in Rajasthan and North India like: Delhi, Jaipur, Bikaner.
Shopping in Mandawa
- For the avid shopper, shopping in Mandawa is a delightful experience. If you have an eye for art and painting, Mandawa is an excellent place for shopping.
- Mandawa is famous for the exquisitely painted old havelis. Huge numbers of tourist,come to Mandawa to see these. The skilled artisans of Mandawa have over the years perfected the art of painting. Now-a-days the artisans recreate the same paintings on cloth or on paper, they serve as excellent showpiece or souvenir. Even if you wish to decorate your home interior, pick up a piece or two while shopping in Mandawa.
- In the region of Shekhawati, which Mandawa belongs to, beautiful wood carved furniture has a special characteristic. Decorated chests, chairs, cradles and low tables & stools are popular item for shopping in Mandawa.
- You may also look for metal utensils, bangles as well as tie-and-die fabric while shopping in Mandawa. Swanky commercial complexes are not there for shopping in Mandawa. Shop from the government emporia or the numerous other private owned outlets that dot over the land. Remember little bit of bargaining is required to get a reasonable price from the private shops.
Places to Visit in Mandawa
- Open Air Art Gallery
- Castle Mandawa
- Hanuman Prasad Goenka Haveli
- Goenka Double Haveli
- Jhunjhunwala Haveli